Spring is the perfect time to reevaluate your caregiving routine and determine where changes can be made.
These tips can be helpful:
- Evaluate your current schedule: Review your daily caregiving tasks and determine what activities you enjoy or feel to be a necessity as well as those activities you wish that you could change or adjust. This will give you a more complete view of how you are spending your time and where changes can be made.
- Simplify your care routine: Upon review, you may find parts of your day where you can consolidate aspects of your loved one’s care to simplify tasks or problem solve better ways to deliver care. Simplifying your care routine can give you more time in the day to complete other tasks or to give yourself a break.
- Care for your own health needs: When caring for a loved one we often lose sight of our own health needs. The spring is a perfect time to review any necessary medical appointments or tests that you may be avoiding.
- Give yourself a break: With warm weather and longer days in store, it’s the perfect opportunity to spend time outside. Fresh air and sunlight help a great deal with elevating mood, increasing energy, and improving the quality of your sleep. Add time in your schedule to take a walk, garden, or spend time at a local park.
- Seek additional support when necessary: You may also realize upon reviewing your schedule that your loved one’s care needs have increased over time. Seeking additional support from family, friends, or professionals can be helpful in meeting the needs of your loved one while allowing you the ability to care for yourself and prevent caregiver fatigue.
For additional support or advice, sign up for the free eNewsletter, “Tips for Family Caregivers” by emailing email@example.com
Attend Our Caregiving Support Group
This support group provides individuals who are caring for a loved one an opportunity to talk with others who are experiencing the same challenges that many caregivers face.
Third Tuesday of every month
1:00 to 2:00 p.m.
Caring Circle Board Room - 4025 Health Park Lane, St. Joseph
First Wednesday of every month
1:00 to 2:30 p.m.
Buchanan Area Senior Center - 810 Rynearson St., Buchanan