Spectrum Health Lakeland Changes COVID-19 Testing Criteria
Nov 18, 2020
Prioritizing patients with symptoms
(ST. JOSEPH) – Spectrum Health Lakeland has revised eligibility changes for those seeking a test at a Lakeland facility. We have widen the opportunities for people to get a COVID-19 test. The modifications still ensure that our patients can quickly and easily get tested. The following guidelines are currently in effect:
- Testing at a Lakeland facility is available for patients who have any symptoms of COVID-19 or have had known exposure (close contact within 6-feet for a total of 15 minutes or more) to someone with confirmed, or suspected COVID-19 at least four days ago.
- Before a COVID-19 diagnostic test can be performed, patients must complete a screening and obtain a doctor’s order from their local primary care provider. If patients, do not have a primary care provider, they should call the free hotline at 833.559.0659.
- A scheduled appointment is required to get a COVID-19 test. Spectrum Health Lakeland is not able to accommodate walk-ins or drive-ins at any of its COVID-19 testing sites without an appointment for that day and location.
- Once you have a doctor’s order, you can self-schedule an appointment through your Lakeland MyChart account or you can call 269.927.5100 to schedule over the phone.
- If seeking only a test, do not go to the emergency department or walk-in-clinics to be tested. Only go to these locations when seeking urgent or emergent care.
“Spectrum Health Lakeland regularly assesses the testing criteria for our patients to ensure we reserve enough tests for symptomatic patients,” said Joe Brown, laboratory director, Spectrum Health Lakeland. “As the demand for COVID-19 tests decreases, we will be able to widen the opportunities for people to get a COVID-19 test.”
Visit bchdmi.org or michigan.gov/coronavirus for a complete list of available testing sites in Berrien County.
It is recommended those with an exposure to COVID-19 follow public health guidelines and quarantine for 14 days. The community is urged to continue practicing social distancing, to wear a mask in public and to wash hands frequently. Spectrum Health Lakeland thanks the public for its support and cooperation as it responds to the increase of COVID-19 in our communities.
For more information, visit spectrumhealthlakeland.org/covid19