Helping you return to moving, working, and enjoying life!
Rehabilitation is the process of helping an individual achieve the highest level of function, independence, and quality of life possible. Rehabilitation does not reverse or undo the damage caused by disease or trauma, but rather helps restore the individual to optimal health, functioning, and well-being.
The rehabilitation program
Rehabilitation medicine is designed to meet each person's specific needs; therefore, each program is different. Some general treatment components for rehabilitation programs include the following:
- Treating the basic disease and preventing complications
- Treating the disability and improving function
- Providing adaptive tools and altering the environment
- Teaching the patient and family and helping them adapt to lifestyle changes
The success of rehabilitation depends on many variables, including the following:
- The nature and severity of the disease, disorder, or injury
- The type and degree of any resulting impairments and disabilities
- The overall health of the patient
- Family support
Areas covered in rehabilitation programs include: