Understanding Your Bill
Hospital-Based Services and Provider-Based Billing
Each of Spectrum Health Lakeland’s hospitals offer both inpatient and outpatient services, including physician practices and outpatient departments that are not located on the main hospital campus. Although these locations are not physically attached to the hospital, they are still considered part of the hospital and are subject to the same quality, regulatory and accreditation standards as the hospital. You will know a location is part of the hospital if it is operated under the name of the hospital.
Hospital-based locations are subject to the same quality, regulatory and accreditation standards as the hospital. This allows for improved coordination of care, operational efficiencies, and collaboration across physician specialties.
As a part of the hospital, these medical practices are subject to “provider-based billing” requirements. Provider-based billing means there are two separate bills to your insurance company. The hospital bills for its “facility charges,” which cover any tests, procedures, supplies, and clinical and non-clinical staff. The physician, physician assistant, or nurse practitioner will separately bill for their professional services or “professional charges.”
Since all insurances have different benefits and out of pocket expenses, we encourage you to contact your insurance company prior to your appointment to discuss this.
Surprised by your bill?
Health care providers, such as Spectrum Health, participate with certain insurance plans for covered services.
These plans are referred to as in-network. Out-of-network plans are those insurances that providers do not
participate with. As a health care provider, we must notify out-of-network, commercially insured patients in
advance and provide a disclosure of the out-of-network charges before delivering care.
What does this mean for me?
Patients will be notified about potential out-of-network costs when they schedule appointments or upon
registration for walk-in services including lab, radiology, urgent care, convenient care, and our Meijer retail
- We will provide a good faith estimate of the cost of these services before services can be delivered.
- All non-emergent, out-of-network patients will be asked to sign a disclosure form prior to receiving services. The patients signature acknowledges that they accept their potential payment responsibility for the out-of-network services.
- The patient can request that the health care services be performed by a provider that participates within their health benefit plan and may contact their insurance company to arrange for those services to be provided at a lower cost.
We understand unexpected health care costs can create large financial impacts for a patient and their families
and we are committed to transparency in pricing information to help patients and their families make informed
health care decisions prior to receiving care.
Pay Your Bill Online and Other Payment Options
Methods of Payment
- Online: We accept online payments using your MyChart account. You can also use MyChart to access account information, view statements, request payment plan, or send us billing questions.
To set up a MyChart account online CLICK HERE, or call 1.800.LAKELAND (525.3526).
A Lakeland representative will be available to assist you 24-hours a day.
If you don't have a MyChart account you can pay a bill online as a guest CLICK HERE.
- By Phone:
Automated payments can be made 24/7. Customer Service Representatives can help Monday-Friday: 8am - 8pm, Saturday: 9am - 2pm.
- In person:
Visit our cashiers at any Spectrum Health Lakeland facility to make a payment. Cashiers are located near the admitting and registration areas.
- Personal checks (made payable to Lakeland Hospitals)
- Travelers checks
- Money orders
- Credit cards (VISA, MasterCard, Discover)
- By mail:
Send payments by mail to:
PO Box 145
Grand Rapids MI 49501-0145
Payment in full is expected at the time of service for all uninsured patients and those with co-pays, coinsurance, or unmet deductible amounts for elective admissions and non-emergent outpatient services. Any additional balance not paid by the insurance company will be your responsibility.
What if I can't pay right now?
We know that tough times happen. Our financial counselors are here to help, regardless of your situation. Spectrum Health Lakeland offers free services to assist with your billing needs. For more information, call 844.408.4103, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. or learn more. We also have extended payment plan options through our partner Commerce Bank.
- General Billing Questions
Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Patient Accounts Customer Service
269.408.4103 or 844.408.4103
- Marie Yeager Cancer Center
Financial Planner, Oncology Services 269.556.7161
- Pine Ridge: A Rehabilitation and Nursing Center