Pulmonary rehabilitation programs are specially designed to help people with lung diseases such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), emphysema, chronic bronchitis, cystic fibrosis, pulmonary fibrosis, and sarcoidosis. The program is eight (8) weeks long with sessions held on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Program topics may include:
- Breathing techniques
- Emotional support
- Exercise training
- Daily living activities
- Help to stop smoking
- Information about your condition
- Nutritional support
- Self-management skills
Your Care Team
The pulmonary rehabilitation programs are led by a team of healthcare providers including nurses, respiratory therapists, exercise specialists, physical and occupational therapists, pharmacists, and counselors. Our team of healthcare professionals will:
- Teach you the skills you need to live and breathe better
- Encourage you to put these skills to good use through lifestyle changes
- Help you set realistic goals so you can make these changes gradually and effectively
Although most programs take place in a group setting, these team members will help you one-on-one when you need it.
Making Changes that Work for You
To reach your goals, you’ll probably need to make some lifestyle changes. To help this go more smoothly consider these tips:
- Expect new emotions. It’s common to resist or feel anger or fear about having to make changes. You’re not alone. Share your feelings with the pulmonary rehabilitation team and people close to you.
- Prepare yourself for slow, steady progress. Change doesn’t happen overnight. To feel your best, you need to commit yourself to practicing your new skills. Over time, you’ll be stronger, have more control of shortness of breath, and be able to do more. But only if you keep at it.
- Get support from family and friends. Tell the people in your life how they can help you reach your goals. Share your ideas and tips for success with other members of your rehabilitation group. Don’t be embarrassed to ask for help.
If you would like more information about the pulmonary rehabilitation program at Spectrum Health Lakeland, please contact:
Lakeland Medical Center
1234 Napier Avenue
St. Joseph, MI 49085
Phone: (269) 983-8203