Lory's Place is here to support you in person or virtually with articles, tips, and activities that will help you on your grief journey.
If you are grieving a death and think a support group might be for you, please contact us at 269.983.2707. We’re always here and available to listen. Follow us on Facebook
for more grief content, and you can always find us at lorysplace.org
How to cope with grief on Valentine's Day
Feb 06, 2023
“Grief, I’ve learned, is really just love. It’s all the love you want to give but cannot. All that unspent love gathers up in the corners of your eyes, the lump in your throat, and in that hollow part of your chest. Grief is just love with no place to go.” — Jamie Anderson
This quote really hits home, especially when you are grieving. February is full of love reminders. Whether you’re into Valentine’s Day or not, it is another holiday we must navigate through on the grief journey. As is true with all holidays, make a plan that feels right to you. And doing nothing is a plan.
In an article by Verywell Health, they speak to the idea of “coping ugly.” They share that “coping does not necessarily need to be a thing of beauty—it just needs to get the job done. Do whatever you need to do during the holiday to cope.”
Consider surrounding yourself with love in whatever ways bring you joy, comfort and peace. That plan can include other people or treat yourself to some much-deserved alone time.
- Enjoy an evening out at your favorite restaurant with your favorite people (those that let you talk if you want to and won’t worry if you don’t)
- Make your favorite meal or order it in
- Create a spa day for yourself at the local spa or at home
- Reach out to someone else who may need a friend
- Express your feelings through journaling, art or music
- Go to the movies or stream a favorite movie
- Reach out for support through friends, family, a counselor, or grief group
- Rest…. Grieving the death of someone is exhausting
Remember to take things moment by moment. If you make a plan and need to change it, that’s okay too. It’s your life, your journey and your decision.
If you are grieving a death and think a support group might be for you, please contact us at 269.983.2707. We’re always here and available to listen. Follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for online support and inspiration, and you can always find us at lorysplace.org
. Don't forget to subscribe to receive content monthly.
Wishing you moments of peace, comfort, and joy,
The Lory’s Place Team